Friday 14 March 2014

Home Made Face Scrub

With the weather currently changing, everyone needs to spend that little bit of time helping their skin stay revitalized during the transition. Personally for me I've been really unwell this week so I feel my skin is super dull and unloved. The joys of being run down!
This is a very simple face scrub that not only helps to moisturize and clear your skin, it also can be easily adapted to your personal skin type and needs.



All you need is three simple ingredients! 

Firstly you need something that will basically make this a 'scrub'. My personal choice is ground rice. It stays gritty enough to clear into my pores and doesn't dissolve. Also the grains are very fine so your skin isn't having to harsh of a treatment. These are some other options you can use instead of ground rice. Organic sugar is one I've used before. I don't use this so much now as it can be a little more course then I like plus I feel like it doesn't keep as well due to dissolving. But if you wanted to make a smaller quantity and have a more deeper scrub then you can try the sugar. If you have more delicate skin and don't want to give it such a harsh scrub then try oats. Oats will definitely be more of a softer option but still a good base. I like this option in the summer when my skin feels more delicate.



The next thing you need is an oil. I use an argan oil that I got from a local Caribbean hair shop. It was only £7.99 which is the cheapest I've ever found. We all know the great benefits of argan oil on the skin! It's high in vitamin E, helps with anti-aging, acne, dry skin and eczema to name a few! other oils you can use are almond oil, walnut oil and even extra virgin olive oil. All these are great for the skin.

The last thing you'll need is an essential oil. This is where you can really adapt the scrub to suit your individual skin needs. Here are some idea of what you can use along with their different benefits and skin types they're best for

-Lavender- 
dry acne, dry skin, scars, regeneration
-Lemongrass-
skin toning, cleansing, large pores, blackheads
-Peppermint-
oily skin, cleansing, puffiness
-Rose-
toning, large pores, thread veins
-Tea Tree-
acne, blemishes, dry skin, revitalizing

(I AM IN NO WAY AN EXPERT AND FOUND ALL THESE OIL BENEFITS HERE)

Feel free to do your own research though and find something that's beneficial to your own needs.
I'm using tea tree as I have shamefully spotty skin right now that really needs revitalizing. When not using tea tree I like peppermint for the fresh feeling i get from it and simply the smell.


Find yourself an air tight container and mix you scrub base, oil and essential oil in it. This is how much off each i used
-Half a cup of ground rice
-100ml Argan oil
-Around 30 drops of tea tree oil

You can add more or less oil though depending on the consistancy you like. I like for mine to hold a shape when stirred but to then settle when left for a minute (or as my friend called it, slush puppy consistancy lol)



Now your free to use and store it! 
I recommend to give it a mix before each use so the ingredients don't separate. Grab some, rub it on your damp skin for a minute or two. Rinse off and pat dry.

Some essential oils can make your skin sensitive to the sun for a few hours so use this in the evening. Then your free to go to bed with clean fresh feeling skin knowing exactly what it is you have used on your face. 

Let me know if you try this, liked it or have similar suggestions I may like to try. As always, I'd love to hear from you! 

p.s. Have a friend with specific skin complaints? This can also be a lovely thoughtful and personalised gift. Perfect with mothers day coming up too! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment